Planning to ship from USA to your country of origin? You might be wondering how customs works, to see if there is anything you will need to know before you shop.
Not too long ago, those wanting to purchase American brands had to wait until friends or family visited the United States. Even then, everyone has heard horror stories about having to fork out thousands for a tiny item.
Thanks to eLogX, you can shop anywhere in the world and enjoy delivery to your doorstep. While this certainly makes the process a lot simpler and a lot less stressful, it is still important to understand the customs process so that you know what to expect, what to avoid and what to do to ensure a problem-free experience. For many people trying to ship goods from USA to their home country, one of the most frustrating aspects of the process is dealing with customs. Trying to do everything yourself can be daunting – especially if you are not based in the USA. Luckily, there is a way to make the process simpler, with the help of eLogX.
In this guide to import customs, we take a look at typical import custom costs, restrictions, delivery times and regulations that may apply when you ship from USA to your country.
How to Ship from USA to Your Country
Some of the most important things to know when you ship from USA to your country include the following:
Prohibited & Restricted Items
Although it may be easier to ship products via eLogX, certain products may not be possible to import. These include items forbidden by major carriers as well as import customs on the US side. You will need to be sure that goods you are planning to ship are acceptable for shipping to your country. Some of the items that are forbidden for import to SA include:
- Cash and cash equivalents
- Credit card blanks
- Credit cards other than telephone cards
- Firearms, weaponry and their parts
- Any other dangerous good defined by customs
- Dry ice
- Fur and other animal products such as ivory
- Lithium metal batteries
- Alcoholic beverages
- Plants and plant material
- Perishable food that requires refrigeration
- Jewelry, gold, precious metals and precious stones over the value of US $2000
For detailed information on import regulations to your country, please contact us directly and we’ll get right back to you.
Expected Delivery Times
Delivery times will depend on the type of shipping you have chosen to get your products from the eLogX storage facility to your country. Please note that these times may vary. Examples of delivery times include:
- Express shipping (often preferred): 3 to 4 working days
- Economy shipping: 5 to 10 working days
Getting started is easier than you think. The following steps will help get you on your way to getting your products through import customs.
- Sign up at eLogX and choose your package.
- You will receive a US suite that can be used for online shopping.
- Shop at your favorite online stores, using your eLogX US address when you checkout.
- You will be notified when your package arrives at our storage facility.
- You can then choose your shipping option.
- We'll do the paperwork, then ship your items to your doorstep.
- You can look forward to your imported goods.
Custom costs will depend largely on the type of package you are sending, and how you send it. Consolidated packaging is a cost-effective way to ship, as it reduces wasted space and prevents high volumetric costs. Very often, packages arrive from stores in large boxes that quickly add up to charges. We repackage your items in smaller boxes, so that you don't have to fork out extra.
The best way to find the answers you need is to speak to one our customs experts. We offer a number of useful resources that include a FAQ page, as well as a regularly updated tips and tricks section. Our team is always on hand to assist however we are needed. If you would like to chat to one of our consultants, simply contact us today with any questions you have on how to ship to your country from USA.